Saturday 28 April 2018

Milan

It wouldn't be fair to compare most cities with Barcelona so yeah Barcelona wins again - but then every city has its charms that is up to the visitor to find.

My trip to milan however didn't start well.

I'm remembering that in many ways travelling is hard work - well the more you put into it the more you get out - like, for example, learning the language admitedly a big investment but pays off in spades.

Anyhow, think I'm slipping i didnt look into the best way to get from the airport to the city beforehand - going with the flow. So near the luggage pickup at the airport there was a guy with a desk selling tickets for the bus to the city so a couple of us thought ah this looks easy and bought tickets at 5 euros, seemed reasonable. Bought the ticket and went outside to find a public bus waiting which cost 1 euro 50 cents.

Made it into the city this time without a map so tried google maps on my phone which unfortunately ive found difficult - keeps dropping out and has been misleading so I'm wandering around town thinking about looking out for a taxi and of course approached by someone supposedly selling books - after a short encounter only to find the zipper on my handbag open leaving my purse - with money, my drivers license and a card - there for the taking. Milan and to some extent barcelona have a problem with pick pockets. Anyhow i think he tried but too difficult to find my little purse thankfully.

I found a taxi but the hotel was near the station so had i spent the time i could have been reminded and got the train from the airport. One thing i am finding there are very few, if any, tourist information desks unlike Spain.

                              


Now the trains that is another story there are warnings everywhere - watch out for pick pockets - but then you are vulnerable when you don't know the system and so you can be offered assistance and be relieved of your valuables while you're at it.

It feels a bit like running the gauntlet but i used my wits and eventually got the trains sorted and got off to beautiful lake como the next day. The trip takes about 40 mins and when i started out there were others in the cabin but as we got closer to the lake the last person left. I looked around thinking i should change cabins and found a guy not far away who seemed to be sizing me up - needless to say i left quickly and found other people.

Lake como is beautiful well worth the trip. The guy at the hotel told me the locals get a boat to a particular place and a bus back which was terrific another adventure. It was difficult to find where to get the bus ticket, which was about 3 euros instead of 10 on the boat, even some of the shop keepers didn't know but persistance brought the reward.

I was reminded from my earlier trip to south america the best way to travel is with the locals - which led to travelling on the back of a truck in Bolivia and on a potato boat in Chile - some wonderful memories.

I'll post photos when i can.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Rome

Something I love about walking is that you often turn a corner or reach the top of a hill and come across whatever it might be - an extraord...