Friday 20 April 2018

Alicante - more museums

I decided to visit Alicante, a smallish beach town on the east coast of Spain so i could meet a fellow researcher on the maternal, Silvia.

The train journey was 2 1/2 hours from Madrid. The train was fast, clean and efficient - a nice journey and interesting to see the countryside. It was fairly flat and very green but no grazing animals like in australia. There were some, but few crops, so i was left wondering what is happening with the land. I must look it up but i thought i could see if i might have a conversation with the guy sitting next to me. So i hedged - do you speak English only to find as in many other occasions - no English.

Anyhow i got here. I  took the advice to download maps but am finding it not straight forward making my way to the hotel - a work in progress.

Having learnt something of the cultural history of Spain i decided to follow up and visit the local Museo Arqueological and walked about 40 minutes to get there. The museum won a European award in 2004 and i found that it had a wonderfully presented display of items but unfortunately the descriptions were in Spanish and a local dialect so i couldn’t read anything. I discovered markings that indicated that it was possible to do an audio tour. I went back to ask and after quite some hassling i set back to look again only to find that about 1/2 hour later i decided to throw it in - the system just wasn't working. I wrote my experience out saying i was so disappointed to have missed out but hope  they might get something sorted. I said don't you get many English people  similarly disappointed but she said - no.

Silvia and I met up on Saturday and she kindly showed me around the city. Again there were local Roman ruins as well as the remains of an earlier Iberian (I think) settlement nearby. Silvia showed me around the older part of the city, the lovely promenade, and we visited some of the Roman ruins.

For now J






No comments:

Post a Comment

Rome

Something I love about walking is that you often turn a corner or reach the top of a hill and come across whatever it might be - an extraord...